Child Support with Joint Custody
Are You Required To Pay Child Support if You Have Joint Custody?Do you have questions about child support with joint custody and whether or not you are still required to pay support when you have 50/50 joint custody? Watch this video by Donna L. Haslinger, an experienced Buffalo Child Support Lawyer to get the answers you’re looking for. If you have additional child custody questions, contact us today to schedule a confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.
- Simply put, child support will probably be involved in cases of joint custody with a primary residential parent.
- Most people who have a 50/50 shared access schedule with their children will find that the higher earning parent will have a child support obligation – even with a 50/50 shared time schedule.
- Asking for joint custody or half of the time with your children will not affect the parents’ obligation to pay child support or right to receive child support.
- Because the courts consider child support and custody as separate issues, they will not decide on custody based on its effect on child support, but on the needs of the child.
- Talk with your attorney about this complicated area because it can significantly impact your children and your financial situation.