Are you considering divorce but have questions about divorce jurisdiction, and what state you must file in? Watch this video by Buffalo Divorce Attorney Donna L. Haslinger for guidance. If you have additional questions about any divorce or family law matter, please contact us to schedule a consultation. We welcome the opportunity to help you and your family reach the resolution you want. Contact us today and let our experience work for you.
- People who have just moved into New York State from other places and members of military families that have separated sometimes contact my office seeking a divorce.
- It is important to remember that starting a divorce process in New York State requires the state to have jurisdiction.
- Although every state’s jurisdictional requirements vary widely, New York State’s are among the most stringent.
- It is usually necessary for a person to live here at least a year in order to initiate a divorce.
- New York State will not permit someone to come into the state and, after living here for a month, initiate a divorce proceeding.
Do you or a loved one have questions about divorce jurisdiction and whether or not you are able to file for divorce in New York State? Contact our Buffalo divorce lawyers for compassionate care.
Out of Town Resources
These Georgia Divorce Lawyers have done a great job creating educational content. If you need help with a divorce claim in Georgia, we recommend you take a look at their website.