Check out these 3 questions about divorce and separation that we have put together for you. Contact us for a free consultation.
What are some tips for choosing the best divorce lawyer?
- In selecting the attorney who will represent you, interview more than one potential candidate and choose the one whose approach matches your needs.
- It is important that you feel confident that you’ll be able to work with your lawyer.
- Hire a lawyer who will listen to you and be responsive to your questions.
- You will be paying for your lawyer’s time, so keep your interaction efficient by grouping your questions and limiting contact to once a week or once a month.
- Constantly calling your lawyer with questions will cause your costs to mount up quickly.
What is the first step in the divorce process?
- If you’re contemplating a divorce, your first goal is to select your attorney.
- Advice from co-workers, friends, or relatives who might have been through a divorce is of little value, because every situation is unique.
- Meeting with an attorney ensures that you receive guidance tailored to your situation.
- For a fee of $150, I offer a consultation which includes a personal meeting during which you will receive an overview of relevant New York State law, guidance in selecting options for how to proceed, and an estimate of the amount of my retainer.
- That initial fee will probably be the best money you spend because it will give you an opportunity to learn about divorce law and unload some of the stress in your situation.
How long does a divorce take?
- If the spouses are cooperative, their divorce can be completed in a few months.
- When spouses are completely uncooperative, their divorce may drag on for years.
- The longer your divorce goes on, the more money it will cost.
- Based on what might be called a typical case, my practice is able to wrap up most divorces in six to nine months, when both parties are reasonable.
- The process carries a certain amount of anxiety, but it can be shortened when both sides are willing to move forward toward a resolution.
Contact Our Buffalo Divorce Lawyers Today
Asking the right questions for your case is extremely important. If you have more questions about divorce or family law matter, contact us to schedule a consultation. We welcome the opportunity to assist you.
Follow Us on Facebook